Built during the reign of King Saen Muang Ma of Mengrai dynasty, the Wat Chedi Luang is measured to be 60-meters long and once sheltered the Emerald Buddha in its compound. The chedi’s height was later reduced due to an earthquake in 1545 and the Emerald Buddha resided in Wat Phra Kaew after this calamity. Adorned with Lanna-style chedi the sprawling compound holds several structures with great cultural significance. amNamely, the city pillar (Intakin) which is at the epicentre, main wiharn with Buddha images and a humongous gum tree at its entrance which is believed to be guarding the city against all ills. During important Buddhist holidays, the compounds of Wat Chedi Luang is echoing with chants as the worshippers convene for a peace candle procession.