A seaside resort town on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is the dream Caribbean destination. It is divided into a conventional downtown quarter and a coastal stretch of luxury resorts and beach clubs. Here are the three types of travellers who will definitely love Cancun:
The One that Prefers to Travel with Family
If family vacations are your preferred form of holiday, Cancun is the right destination for you, as there are many activities and attractions for kids.
Top things to do in Cancun with family:
- Tour Isla Mujeres on a catamaran: At a distance of 13km from the coast of Cancun, this island is very easy to explore. Famous spots include Playa Norte beach, Garrafon Park, and a turtle farm. The coral reefs around Isla Mujeres are great for snorkelling and scuba-diving.
- Swim with dolphins at Xel Ha Park: This aquatic theme park in Quintana Roo is full of beautiful lagoons and cenotes, and exciting aquatic zip-lines. Kids will enjoy swimming with dolphins and walking under the sea.
- Visit Xcaret Park: Also in Quintana Roo, Xcaret Park is a unique nature park with many ecological attractions. Explore the butterfly pavilion, aviary, coral reef aquarium, subterranean rivers, and Mayan ruins.
The One that always wants to be Outdoors!
Cancun is a paradise for beach bums and those who enjoy water sports. From diving to snorkelling, you can try a variety of adventure sports in Cancun.
Top things to do in Cancun for active travellers:
- Visit Tulum and Rio Secreto. After exploring Tulum’s ruins, take a dip at Rio Secreto, a magnificent underground river surrounded by stalactites and stalagmites.
- Go diving at Cancun Underwater Museum. The 500 life-sized statues and sculptures at Cancun Underwater Museum are breath-taking. They have also led to the growth of interesting marine life.
- Sun-bathe at the best beaches. Get your sun umbrella, sunscreen, and novel, and enjoy Cancun’s spectacular white-sand beaches at Las Perlas, Tortuga, Caracol, and more.
The One that can’t get enough of Culture and History
Cancun has its fair share of historical ruins and attractions. It is also close to many major Mayan ruins, making it a great base for history enthusiasts.
Top things to do in Cancun for culture and history buffs:
- Tour the ruins of Chichen Itza: Chichen Itza was the largest pre-Columbian Mayan city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. El Castillo, the temple pyramid, offers stunning views from the top.
- See the sunrise at Tulum: Tulum National Park houses the ruins of a sea-facing walled city dating back to the 13th It is studded with temples shaped like pyramids.
- Visit the El Rey Archaeological Zone: Located in Cancun, El Rey is noteworthy for its collection of 47 excavated Mayan buildings from 250 A.D.