The ancient city of Chiang Mai sits high up in Thailand’s north, still bearing signs of its erstwhile grandeur. Once the capital of the Lanna Kingdom, the city is a magnet for history and culture enthusiasts. Chiang Mai is also a wonderful family destination. And due to its natural beauty, it is an ideal getaway for those who like to spend their time outdoors.
So here are the top three reasons to go to Chiang Mai:
History & Culture
Top things to do in Chiang Mai for culture and history aficionados:
- Temple Tour of Chiang Mai: Wat Phra Singh features Lanna-style architecture with an opulent assembly hall and murals reflecting the lives of locals. Wat Chedi Luang used to be the residence of the Emerald Buddha.
- Prayer Session at Wat Sri Soda: Visit the Buddhist temple of Wat Sri Soda early in the morning to be a part of the prayer rituals, and later offer alms to the monks.
- Visit to Wat Doi Suthep: The ancient Buddhist temple of Doi Suthep is situated atop a hill, and features a remarkable stupa with detailed carvings and glass work.
Best hotels in Chiang Mai for culture and history aficionados: Dhara Dhevi Resort Chiang Mai with its luxurious colonial-style suites and teak flooring. 137 Pillars House Chiang Mai with rooms featuring Victorian tubs and outdoor showers and many more.
A Family Holiday
Top things to do in Chiang Mai for families:
- Visit to Long Neck Karen: The Thai affinity for long and slender necks is well-known, and you can see women sporting jewellery designed to elongate their necks at Long Neck Karen, a tribal village.
- Tour of Lampang Elephant School: At the Elephant Conservation Camp in Lampang, you can see six white elephants belonging to His Majesty, and 50 Asian elephants.
Best hotels in Chiang Mai for families: Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai is ideal for families with its beautiful location among verdant rice fields, spacious accommodations, poolside dining, and a cooking school where you can learn to cook Thai.
Top things to do in Chiang Mai for outdoorsy travellers:
- Night Safari Tour: Be mesmerized by the sight of animals from countries all over the world during your night safari in Chiang Mai.
- Tour of Doi Inthanon National Park: Doi Inthanon National Park is home to many attractions including waterfalls, Buddhist temples, villages, and an elephant camp.
- Visit Chiang Rai & the Golden Triangle: Visit a hot spring, meet some local tribes, and shop to your heart’s content at the trading border between Thailand and Myanmar on your tour of Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle.
Best hotels in Chiang Mai for outdoorsy travellers: Rati Lanna Riverside Spa Resort is the perfect retreat for rejuvenating yourself after an active day. Guests will also appreciate the infinity pool, gym, and rainfall showers in the Lanna-style suites.